Due to the presence of countless platforms that present countless products and procedures for skin whitening and due to the less knowledge we have about the presented products and less knowledge about the causes in order to prevent it, we usually fall in the mistake of choosing a product based on its successful marketing campaign such as perfect Ads and sales, instead of choosing the best ingredients, that actually have a massive effect on our skin condition giving the desired results.
We will provide you with the best skin whitening ingredients list that you should look for while buying your skin whitening cosmetics products. Forget about the dangerous skin whitening options like skin whitening injections and skin whitening pills and go for skin whitening creams with perfect ingredients.
Here starts your journey with the first perfect skin whitening ingredient;
You may read it on one of the pamphlets niacin, niacinamide, or vitamin B3…but it does not matter; however, its efficacy is what matters the most! Niacin is essential for the overall health status and your overall skin look! But how? Based on research, it has been found that niacin can help provide the following properties as follows;
- Antiaging properties, as it increases keratin protein synthesis that usually decrease as we age, in addition to its role in stimulating cell growth and collagen that gives flexibility and elasticity for the skin.
- It is always recommended to use skin brightening products containing niacin as it helps to reduce hyperpigmentation…how?! The niacin is perfectly worked through the transfer inhibition of melanocytes to keratinocytes “inhibiting melanogenesis process” by an efficiency 68%.
To be more clear, you may need to be informed that the skin is consists of many layers, the melanocytes are usually found deep into the skin layers for the purpose of producing melanosomes that contains the melanin pigment, the melanosomes are then transferred to keratinocytes that is usually moves to the upper layers of the skin! Resulting in problems.
- A clinical study was performed entitled “
A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4%in the Treatment of Melasma
” that shows the following “All patients showed pigment improvement with both treatments. Colorimetric measures did not show statistical differences between both sides. However, good to excellent improvement was observed with niacinamide in 44% of patients, compared to 55% with HQ. Niacinamide reduced importantly the mast cell infiltrate and showed improvement of solar elastosis in melasma skin. Side effects were present in 18% with niacinamide versus 29% with HQ. Conclusion. Niacinamide induces a decrease in pigmentation, inflammatory infiltrate, and solar elastosis. Niacinamide is a safe and effective therapeutic agent for this condition.”
In conclusion and by statistics, Niacinamide can;
Increase fatty acid by 67%
Reduce water by less than 24%
Reduce the skin pigmentation by 68%
Increase fibroblast production by 20%
Reduce collagen oxidation and increase its production by 54%
2- Licorice extract
The licorice extract can provide many compounds that usually reduce or suppress melanogenesis process; Glabridin considered as one of licorice extract active compound derivatives that are usually found as one of the perfect ingredients within any effective skin whitening cream; because it has the ability to:
Prevents Pigmentation inconsistences results from many factors
Inhibit the tyrosinase activity without forcing any kind of potent effects on DNA
Inhibit superoxide anion production and cyclooxygenase activity that usually induces skin pigmentation
Liquiritin is another active compound produced from licorice extract, that can work effectively through the removal or dispersion of melanin instead of tyrosinase inhibition as glabridin do.
In conclusion, Products derived from licorice extract usually help to enhance; dark spots, sunspots, dark acne scars, in addition to its ability to initiate collagen production and even the skin color.
How about the concentration of both?
- Glabridin is usually used in a concentration that ranges from 0.1 to 1.0 g, while Liquiritin is usually found in a concentration of 1.0 g. Based on research, it has been found that licorice extract could be also used in combination with other formulas, giving perfect results in the skin whitening problems. One of these combinations is the combination of licorice (0.4%) with retinoic acid (0.05%) and betamethasone (0.05%); that provide perfect results.
Best Seller Skin Whitening Product Zeta White
The Bioflavonoid that normally found in citrus fruit; it has the ability to perform perfect results; when used as skin whitening ingredient in one of the cosmetics products. Therefore, what is the secret behind its effectiveness?
The secret behind its efficiency lies in its ability to;
Inhibit melanin synthesis without causing cytotoxicity
Provide an excellent protection property for the collagen already found beneath the skin
Bioflavonoid can be further divided into Flavones, Flavonols, and Isoflavones…etc. all the previous mentioned structures can be further branched giving structures such as glycitein and genistein that have perfect anti-tyrosinase activity.
4- Papaya extract
The well-known papaya fruit that is found mainly in Mexico and America, that contains the most powerful skin whitening ingredient which is Papain enzyme “Papaya Proteinase” that can work by promoting cell regeneration and cell turnover through stimulating the exfoliation process; therefore, a fresh and healthy skin is your own look.
Using products containing papaya extract; helps remove the dead layer found on the skin surface, in addition, it will help to:
Moisturize the skin
Reduce signs of aging
Control acne breakouts
Reduces dark circles found under eyes
Treat pigmentation inconsistencies resulting from melasma, tan, or any other condition
5- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP)
The stable derivative of vitamin C; that is characterized by its efficiency to promote collagen production, suppress melanin production, protector against UV radiation, anti-inflammatory, and considered an excellent exfoliator that is able to shed away dead skin found on your face; as a result, you get a fresh, healthy, and even skin condition and type.
Arbutin, a naturally occurring b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone that is found in leaves of blueberry, wheat, pears, or bearberry plants. Arbutin comes in more than one form such as Alpha-arbutin, Beta-arbutin, Deoxyarbutin, and Aloesin; all of them have the same mode of action that is the inhibition of tyrosinase production, as a result, the melanin level decrease. Although arbutin is said to be effective as skin whitening ingredient; however, it has been found that some people are sensitive to this compound as a result irritation may occur.
- Based on clinical studies it has been found that “3% Deoxyarbutin is effective in lightening solar lentigines in light-skinned patients; however, there are no data on its efficacy for Pregnancy Induced Hypertension.”
7- Vitamin A
Call it Retinol, Retinoic acid, or vitamin A compound; it is considered as the best exfoliator due to its ability to cause cell turnover, cell regeneration, giving you the most youthful and bright look.
- Based on research it has been found that “Retinoid 0.1% has been used to successfully treat melasma in Black patients; improvements of up to 73% were seen after 40 weeks of treatment. Erythema and peeling in the area of application are adverse effects of retinoid 0.05 to 0.1%; post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can also occur. Concentrations range from 0.01% to 0.1%. However, irritant dermatitis can be a frequent adverse effect, and caution should be used when prescribing higher concentrations of retinoid in darker skin types since the irritation can lead to further Pregnancy Induced Hypertension”
The excellent dried leaves of mulberry (85% ethanol extract) that can help in the production of several phenolic flavonoids, such as Gallic acid, quercetin, and fatty acids; such as linoleic acid and palmitic acid. Most of the previously mentioned products can be perfect if you find them as one of skin whitening ingredients because they have Mulberroside F (moracin M-6, 3′-di-O-beta-d-glucopyranoside); the active component that have the ability to inhibit the production of tyrosinase enzyme as a result reduce the melanin level; giving you more luminous look!
9- Azelaic acid
The organic compound that is found in wheat, rye, barely, and could be derived from yeast; it works by the same mechanism of action like most of the skin whitening ingredients which is melanin inhibition.
Azelaic acid is proved to be effective in the treatment of pigmentation inconsistencies however, some side effects are confirmed too! Side effects appeared when some patients start using azelaic acid as follows; transient erythema, scaling, and irritation, but they usually last for only a few weeks.
- Based on studies, it has been found that “Azelaic acid is most effective in concentrations of 20%, which is closely comparable in activity to 4% hydroquinone. In a study consisting of 329 melasma sufferers, half were treated with a 20% azelaic acid solution, and half were treated with a 4% hydroquinone solution. Of the patients treated with AZA, 56% had good to favorable results, while 73% treated with HQ had a similar result. However, when the AZA was combined with tretinoin or alpha hydroxy acids, the results were noticeably improved and rivaled the results of the high-concentration HQ. Azelaic acid also is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, so it is effective in the treatment of rosacea and acne.”
10- Salicylic acid or beta hydroxy acid
Aspirin constituent can be used too as one of skin whitening ingredient due to its ability to initiate cell turnover. However, salicylic acid is only considered as effective on the minor pigmentation cases.
The amazing skin whitening ingredient that can produce Soybean Trypsin Inhibitor; that works perfectly on the transfer inhibition of melanosomes, as a result, melanin level decrease. The soybean is perfectly working on hyperpigmentation and solar lentigines that frequently result from photodamage.
- Leaves extract of maidenhair tree “Ginkgo” can provide excellent results when used as skin whitening ingredient; it works through tyrosine inhibition. Moreover, it can works as a perfect antioxidant, therefore, reducing the signs of aging, provide natural sunscreen, and an amazing natural cleanser; giving you the most luminous look.
13- Kojic Acid
- The fungus-derived acid that is widely used in most of the skin whitening products due to its ability to inhibit the tyrosinase enzyme; as a result of the melanin level decrease. Studies show that kojic acid has a stronger effect than that of hydroquinone compound. Although it has many benefits and its use approved by the U.S Food and Drugs Administration, we can’t deny that it also has side effects such as contact dermatitis, increase sensitivity to sunburns, etc.
- Some countries have also banned the use of kojic acid because their research reveals that kojic acid has the ability to initiate cancer! However, further research is ongoing on the previously mentioned point.
14- Beware Of Hydroquinone
The commonly used skin whitening compound that provides the best whitening properties and many platforms consider hydroquinone-containing products as number one! The mode of action of hydroquinone is through the inhibition of tyrosinase, thereby reducing the conversion of dihydroxyphenylalanine (DOPA) to melanin; As a result, brighter skin is achieved.
In my opinion, if I describe a product as number one, I should take into my consideration its effectiveness as long as its side effects. Therefore, while writing this article I list hydroquinone as a beware option due to its numerous side effects that should be taken into account.
Based on research, it was stated that; “On August 29, 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed a ban on over-the-counter sales of cosmetic products containing hydroquinone, a skin-bleaching (lightening) ingredient. Moreover, any skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone would be considered new drugs, according to the proposed FDA regulations. The products would require FDA approval before being sold to the public and would only be available with a doctor’s prescription. “And according to a report published by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, “hydroquinone may increase skin cancer risks due to UV exposure and that there is a side effect of using it too much-called ocrynosis; you get a paradoxical darkening discoloration of the skin”
And our last recommendation for you is to choose wisely your skin whitening products that are effective and produce minimal side effects.