Last Updated on
If you are weighing your options between these two creams, know that you are not alone. They are both the renowned giants of skincare, competing in the field for many years, though Mederma was the leader in scar removals for some time. Afterwards, Revitol scar cream came to the scene, and users gave it positive reviews. After all this, who wins the contest, depending on the consumers?
Scar creams are to help with scar healing. However, before you spend your hard-earned cash on any cream that promises you results, it is good to understand the kinds of scars that can form on the body. This, in turn, will help you make the best decision on the cream you are going to use, as well as the results you expect from it.
What is a Scar?
Everyone gets injuries at some point in their lives for various reasons. Scars are part of the healing process of the body from the injuries, but they can also turn out to be unwelcome telltale marks of pain.
Many people are unhappy with these scars, and try all means to fix them, according to a study on skin scarification by the NCBI. Contrary to some opinion, it is not possible to eliminate scars.
How do Scars form?
Scars form because of dermis injuries (dermis is the lower layer of the skin from the epidermis or top layer). These injuries may be from surgical operations, physical injuries, picking at scabs, acne and so on.
The skin immediately enters healing mode when wounds happen, because the skin is trying to close the wound as quickly as possible. Blood clots form on the epidermis to cover the cut, and this forms a scab. After this, the dermis sends fibroblasts (collagen-making cells) that will start remaking tissue. However, the skin is in a rush to repair itself, so the collagen does not have a neat arrangement as the rest of the skin, resulting in a scar. High collagen levels make raised scars, and too little collagen makes indented scars.
As days pass, the skin tries to replace the untidy collagen with neat tissue, and may lead to fading of scars, but they never fade away completely.
Factors affecting scar healing
Some factors that play a role in healing are under your control, while others are not. The factors affecting healing include:
Type of wound
This may be due to surgical wounds or chronic wounding, so the problem that the patient goes through is different. These may be:
Chronic – a breakdown of wounds, long healing time, swellings, smell, pain, fragility increase
Acute – tenderness, longer healing period, swelling, wound separation
Older individuals are likely to experience longer recovery time because the skin suffers from lower elasticity and immunity. In addition, there is a problem with reducing oxygen levels and lower blood circulation, and this makes the healing process slower.
Personal hygiene has effects on the healing process, so it is important to keep high hygiene standards, wash hands every time before and after changing dressings and using clean products.
Certain foods can assist to speed up the healing process. For instance, foods that have high levels of minerals such as copper and zinc, iron, protein, and Vitamins including A, B and C. in addition, fats and carbohydrates can give energy and promote healing. Hydration is equally important as well, and you cannot overlook it as the skin recovers.
Types of scars
- Lin type scars – these occur as a red or pink line and usually fades as time passes (think paper cuts or a cat scratch).
- Hypertrophic and Keloid scars – occurring mostly in people with darker skin, these are due to the overproduction of collagen, and they extend beyond the original injury. Keloid scars are bigger and can grow to interfere with movement, while hypertrophic scars fade and thin slightly over time (they are usually a result of major abrasions and injuries). The treatments include surgeries that eliminate the scar, silicone sheets that flatten it, or steroid injections. Cryotherapy can be useful in treating small keloids. Prevention includes using gel pads that contain silicone or pressure treatments when injuries occur.
- Ice Pick – these usually appear as sunken tissue or pits due to the loss of collagen. It mainly manifests as stretch marks and acne scars.
- Contracture scars – the least common scars compared to the others. They form after you suffer burns, and they tighten the skin.
Remember that hydration is very essential in the process of healing wounds. In fact, treatments that are the most effective always depend on maintaining skin moisture levels to enhance your healing progress. So regardless of healing old or new scars, ensure to drink plenty of water, since the water content of your skin can change your recovery rate.
Many people see positive outcomes by using these skin care products. However, other factors like dermatological conditions and sensitive skin can influence the best products for your case. In the case of you being a beginner in the world of scar creams, you require letting the wound heal completely, and then you can easily incorporate the cream you decide on in your skin care.
Going through your choices regarding care of scars can be overwhelming. If you do not want to stress out about how you look, or you are tired of hiding problem areas using clothes or makeup, this article will assist you to choose between the best two options so far in scar creams.
Review on Revitol scar cream
How does Revitol work?
Among the causes of scars, is the random arrangement of tissues during recovery, from the fibroblasts that release collagen. Revitol addresses the problem through the reduction of fibroblasts, and then the skin forces itself to rebuild in a normal manner.
The manufacturer of the cream claims that it is completely natural, implying that there are no side effects after you use it, and makes it very good for people with sensitive skin. Its natural content also makes it easily absorbable by the skin tissue.
In addition, Revitol assists with increasing firmness and elasticity of the skin, making it feel and look fresh, on average; users say that it takes about three to five weeks on average to reap the full benefits of the cream.
An advantage that Revitol has is the ability to clear both old and new scars. This is because it works on the source of the scar formation. It is worth trying, as many people get good results from using it.
Get Revitol Scar Cream – From Its Official Website HERE
Ingredients in Revitol cream
- Glycolic acid – many people use chemical and exfoliating peels, and it is mainly because they help the skin to remove dead cells that accumulate and slow down the healing process or discolor the skin. Glycolic acid is a gentle peel, which helps to smooth out the skin and give a brighter appearance.
- Hydroquinone – you may hear of this ingredient in beauty and skin products. Popularized because of skin lightening, it also helps in enhancing even pigmentation of scars and any surrounding tissue.
- Copper peptide – this may sound strange, but it assists with healing of wounds. This in turn, leads to less scarring, thanks to its work with glycolic acid.
- Onion extracts – certain clinical studies show the importance of onion extracts in reducing skin discoloration and improve the healing process. It is also popular for its skin brightening properties.
- Other ingredients – water, tricaplycin (acts as a fragrance, emollient and solvent), acetyl Hexapeptide-8 (this ingredient reduces the appearance of wrinkles, but is not suitable for individuals with sensitive skin); Glyceryl Stearate (is an emulsifying agent that is in personal care products and cosmetics. It is a mild irritant that might cause allergic reactions), phospholipids (antioxidant and emulsifying agents), Tocopheryl Acetate (a form of Vitamin E), seed oil from Borago Officinalis (is a skin-conditioning agent and emollient having anti-inflammatory properties).
Advantages of Revitol scar cream
- It has ingredients that have clinical backing of effectiveness
- The manufacturer is a reputable skin care company, and they offer other skin care products as well
- You can use it on all kinds of scars
- Many users give positive reviews on the product
Disadvantages of Revitol scar cream
- It is more expensive than other creams, but the positive result is worth it
- It is not likely to lack negative effects, just because it has natural ingredients
One Jar Costs – 40 USD
Special ongoing offers on Official Website:
Buy 2 Jars Get One Free (+FREE SHIPPING)
Buy 3 Jars Get Two Free (+FREE SHIPPING)
Revitol scar cream proves to be effective in reducing the chances of scar formation, as well as fading out older scars. It achieves all this, without changing your skin tone largely, and this is the biggest highlight of the product. There are places you can buy it, with the official website giving the details.
Review on Mederma scar cream
Mederma, like Revitol, has been in existence for quite some time. The clinical scientists behind the product conduct various clinical trials to make sure that the product works.
How does Mederma work?
The focus of the product is on three problem areas – texture, coloring and the overall appearance of the skin after complete healing.
All of the manufacturer’s products go through thorough tests, and the result is that they work for one area – scars. Many people swear by the cream, and the company knows this brand loyalty – they want to make the best product possible. However, is the product hype worth it?
Forms of Mederma creams on Th Market (To avoid Confusion)
You can purchase five types of the cream, each with their own benefits.
- Mederma PM intensive overnight cream – this is specifically for night application. According to the manufacturer, it helps the skin regenerate faster due to the presence of antioxidants, collagen and peptides that enhance the overall health of the skin.
- Mederma Scar cream (Plus SPF 30) – many ingredients that are in the other creams are present in this cream, at least for the greater part. However, it also includes sunscreen in the formation, making it better than them to some extent. Why this is effective is because the sun tends to darken scars, making them more noticeable. When you use sunscreen, it eliminates the problem.
- Stretch marks therapy – this cream has botanical ingredients, as well as hyaluronic acid that moisturizes skin. It also helps to remove stretch marks and prevent new ones from forming.
- Mederma for kids – it comes in form of a gel, and has a grape scent and purple color that can appeal to children.
- Advanced scar gel – you can only apply this cream once a day because the formula is very powerful.
Mederma Advanced Scar Gel (Can Be Bought From Amazon) – HERE
The manufacturer claims that the product can improve stretch marks and reduce scar appearances in about 80% of users. In addition, an additional claim is that pharmacists and doctors recommend the cream, and it is the No.1 over-the-counter solution.
Here are the ingredient summaries:
- Onion extracts – similar to Revitol, Mederma contains onion extracts that reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars. According to it, four extracts are in the cream – allium cepa bulb, hyaluronic acid, Cepalin, and Centella asiatica. Mederma Stretch marks therapy cream has all four extracts, while remaining Mederma formulas have allium cepa alone. The cream is apparently effective after twelve weeks, resulting in smoother skin and better overall appearance.
- Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice and PEG-4 – PEG-4 is an emulsifier that is useful in reducing tension on the skin surface, as well as helping in the mixture of water and oils. The juice of Aloe Barbadensis comes from the aloe plant, and has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties making it very good for wound therapy. Even though there is no conclusive scientific proof, aloe barbadensis proves to have anti-inflammatory properties and helps the body to heal from scars or burns.
- Others – all remaining ingredients in the cream are fragrance, emulsifiers, and coloring as well as carrier agents. They also include xanthan gum, purified water, sorbic acid, allantoin and methylparaben. Purified water acts as a solvent to mix all the ingredients, and it makes sure there is no component in the water that can affect the formula. Xanthan gum is useful in thickening the ingredients while preventing them from solidifying or becoming sticky. Allantoin is a nitrogen-rich waste molecule from mammalian urine that softens keratin and helps in creating the consistency of the formula, while sorbic acid and methylparaben are preservatives that reduce the occurrence of bacteria within the ingredients. Fragrance makes the product have a nice smell. Note that the product contains some alcohol as well (though in low amounts), so this may have a drying effect on the skin.
Is Mederma effective, as they say?
One of the clinical trials that the company has done reveals that individuals that use the cream have improvements of about 36% in terms of the three areas the cream focuses on. The trial was for eight weeks, and this should be equivalent to the use of a medium-sized bottle on a small scar.
Many users report the biggest changes occurring in the feel of the scar (texture), and this can be a problem to some users. Not only this, but there were also changes in the scar appearance and color.
Length of healing time
According to the manufacturer, the claim is that the scar heals in four weeks, but the reality is longer than that, depending on several factors.
A general rule is that smaller scars go away first, then larger scars that contain greater damage levels take a longer time to fade, possibly a few months. Keep in mind that the natural regeneration of the skin occurs in 28-day cycles, in addition, applying the cream at night before sleeping might aid in faster healing and results.
Verdict on Mederma Advanced Gel
The ingredients that are present in the formula may work for some people, while it may not work for others. In this cream, the formula seems simple, but the problem is that the active ingredients are in low concentrations, which explains the disparity in results among individuals. It may prevent allergies, and some users may claim that it has helped them largely. However, you can explore other treatments.
Advantages of Mederma Advanced gel For Scars;
- Easily available and simple to purchase
- It is affordable for many consumers
- It is among the best treatments for surface scars, and you can get it in both cream and gel forms
- It is easy to use
- It cannot treat all types of scars
- The product contains chemicals, and can have side effects on the skin
One Bottle Costs – From 20 to 25 USD
The debate between Mederma and Revitol is a longstanding one, and various users may report the effectiveness of one cream over the other.
However, we feel that Revitol is the better cream, as it contains more concentration of natural ingredients and proves to be effective for almost all skin types, if not all. It also takes a shorter time to get results, and this may work as an encouragement to those that struggle with healing issues due to the length.